What is ECA?
An Education Credential Assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one. For example, an ECA will determine if an applicant’s foreign master’s degree is of the same standard when compared to a Canadian Master’s degree.
Note: You will need an ECA only if you have a non-Canadian degree
How to get one?
You must get your assessment either from an organization or from a body designated by the IRCC. They will give you a report that tells you what your education is equal to in Canada. Make sure that the assessment is issued for Immigration Purpose since there are multiple types of ECA.
- Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
- World Education Services (WES)
- International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
- International Credential Evaluation Service
Designation Profession Bodies:
- Medical Council of Canada (the professional body of doctors) – For specialist physicians and general practitioners (NOC 3111 or NOC 3112)
- Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (the professional body for pharmacists) – For pharmacists (NOC 3131)
An ECA is valid for a period of 5 years from the date it is issued.
Cost and Processing time
Cost to get an assessment range between $200 to $220 depending on the organization you get the assessment from. The processing times vary as per the organizations show below:
- CES University of Toronto – 14 Weeks
- ICAS Canada – 20 Weeks
- WES – 7 Weeks
- IQAS – 12 Weeks
- ICES – 8 Weeks
WES is the most popular organization for getting your ECA due to its quick processing time.
How to Submit ECA for Express Entry?
Once you get your report from the organization, you would need to:
- Enter the results and the reference number into your Express Entry profile
- Keep your originals (reports, transcripts, credentials) as you would be required to upload copies if you get ITA.
Below is how an ECA report looks like:
To check out your current CRS Score, use our mobile app’s CRS calculator and keep an eye on the latest draws using the mobile app too. Download the TrekNation App from here.