Congratulations on receiving your Canadian PR! This is one of the best decisions of your life. You can pat on your back and start planning your next steps. In this blog, we will help you plan your next steps after you land in Canada and to ensure that your future is as successful as possible.

Before you land, it is important to bring all the important documents that will be required. It will be beneficial if you are able to prepare before time, as it can become very distressing if left to the last minute.

Travel documents

  • a valid passport
  • Your CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) along with the permanent resident visa (if you were provided one)
  • Bank statements to provide proof of funds 


  • You should arrange to stay for the first few days in case you do not have any friends or family where you will be landing. It is best to take care of this early on since the cost of accommodation rises if you wait till the end. 


  • A reference letter from previous employers might help in your new job search in Canada.
  • Also, remember to tailor your resume according to the Canadian format.

Driver’s License

  • You should bring Driver’s license from your home country.
  • Depending on your home country and the province you are landing in Canada, you should be able to exchange your current license along with additional proof of driving from your home country.

After you land in Canada, you will meet an officer from the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA). The office will inquire on the below points:

  • Check to see if you are entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your CoPR
  • Make sure you are the same person who was approved to travel to Canada
  • Ask to see and validate your documents

After you have activated your PR card at the airport or the port of entry, you can start with the below processes:

Get your SIN (Social Insurance Number)

SIN is required for all activities in Canada such as opening a bank account, registering for health care, etc. You can sign up for SIN at any Service Canada office.

Get Public Transit Card

Public transportation is the best way to get around in the city you land in Canada. All big cities in Canada have sound public transportation. If you land in Toronto, you can get a transit card at the airport itself. All transit payments have been moved to a card called Presto.

Sign Up for Mobile Number

Getting a mobile number that is compatible with your phone is another important step in settling in Canada. There are 3 main telecom providers in Canada – Telus, Bell, and Rogers. They are also the most expensive telecom provider in the world. But they are also known to provide the widest coverage. There are also cheaper options available like Freedom, Fido, Koodoo, Virgin, etc. 

Open a Bank Account

Another important step in your arrival process is setting up a bank account. The main banks in Canada are RBC, TD, CIBC, Scotiabank, and BMO. They offer various deals for newcomers so make sure you inquire about these deals. General plans provided by these banks contain a monthly plan for an account, electronic transactions, cheques, etc.

Register for Health Card

There is a cool-off period during which time you are not eligible to receive health care coverage. Different provinces have different rules for this cool-off period. E.g., Ontario has a cool period of 3 months while Alberta does not have any cool off period and you are eligible for healthcare coverage as soon as you land. You can visit the provincial service office to sign up for health care to ensure you and your family are covered for healthcare coverage. 

You should make arrangements to have insurance for yourself and your family during this cool-off period as healthcare costs without the insurance can be significant. 

Get Driving License

Canada is a beautiful country with great outdoors. To enjoy the great outdoors, you should get your driving license asap. We would recommend getting it within the first month of your landing.

Unless you are in the US or some other countries which simply exchange their license for a Canadian license, you will have to take a test with different levels to get a Canadian driving license. 

On a very high level, there are 3 levels to get your driving license. 1st is G1, which is a written test. On clearing this level, you can drive if you have someone with a G license sitting in the passenger seat. 2nd is G2, in which you can drive with some restrictions. And finally, there is G, which is the final exam, clearing which you can drive without any restrictions (while following the rules and guidelines). 

Acquaint yourself with the City

Before you start your new job, you will have some time to explore your residing city. You should try to catch up with all the famous spots of the cities and get yourself acquainted with various aspects of the city. Get to know the downtown, the transit lines, various tourist places.

Congratulations once again on getting your PR to Canada. Exciting times lie ahead! Sign up on treknation.ca for getting early access to our app.

Leave a Reply